28 August 2015

Epic Regency Sewing Project - Green Sari Overdress and Turban.

Now it is time to step into unknown territory.  Eeeeekkkkk!!!!!

I have been research overdress quite a lot on Pinterest and most people seem to use Jane Arnold's patterns of fashion book.

However I do not have this book so taking a rough guess of what the pattern needs in terms of pleats I decided the best way to make this would be to draft it.

Once again using sense and sensibility pattern I cut out only the bodice and marked out where the dress will be.

Now to makw things simply I am only going to add pleats at the seams.

But before I cut my sari I needed to make the lining.  I used some green cotton poplin for this.

Making sure it looked okay since this will be used as a bases for the sari but more important snug.

Now to actually cut the sari.

I only had one chance at this so I made sure the length and position of the pleats were correct.

there was not enough width to have pleats at all the seams so I just had them at the back and then a small pleat at the side which looks more like a dart.

Oh this is getting scary.

I wanted the border to go all the way round the back hence the long bit.  Yeah no idea how that is going to work out.

So let the sewing begin.

That is the pleats secured and time to attach it to the lining.

Oh dear!

Yep I did not cut enough of the border, will need to get that fixed.

Hmmm looking not bad.

Getting the edges all tucked in and the pleats on the border sewed down.

Yes all the edges done apart from that little gap at the top.

Yes this looks good!  

Now to make my turban or a big puffy cap.

No way was I going to make a template for this so what I did was fold the fabric half, then in quarters, and so on until it was a small enough for me to mark it in a few places.  Similar to how you would make a cartouche for cooking!

And voila!!! One massive circle.  Now I just need to attach it to a piece of the border and I have a turban.

Needs gold feathers I think.

Now to finish off my sari with a closure around the front and fix up the back.

You wouldn't know that I made a mistake here.  hehehehe!

Phew I can finally rest a little.

No comments: