21 January 2018

Making a Dress - Wa-lolita wraparound JSK

Inspiration

So it is time I tackled my much wanted dress.  A wa-lolita dress that wraps around like a kimono.

This has been on my to-do list since I started to wear lolita over 4 years ago and really wanted to do it because it combined two of my favourite styles.  However it is a tricky style to pull off as it could look ridiculous if done wrong.

Therefore I spent a long time deciding on what element I wanted to show off on my dress and here was my conclusion.

  1. Collar
  2. Wrap around.
These two elements for me were the important elements that define a kimono.  Unfortunately I can not transfer the silhouette of a kimono outfit because that is a tube shape where lolita is more puffy so out with that.

Design

Now I have the elements I wanted to include, time to start start drafting.


Getting the collar was a bit tricky and additional darts were needed around the bust area to stop the top from gaping.


Not looking bad.


And now drafting the collar.

Construction

As always I started with the lining as if I made a mistake at least I can hide it.


And as always I forgot to take photos of the rest of the bodice as I was eager to complete to see what it looked like.



I finished the bodice Sunday evening when it dawned on me that I should add a mon on the back collar!

Therefore the following morning that is what I did.


Yep it is a little kitty!

Now to get the skirt sorted.


Checking the skirt was the right length.


Oh it is not a plain hem.  I had brought some broderie anglaise on a whim thinking it will definitely be useful and finally it was.  I did have some lovely cream/white trim but I wanted to keep it black.


Time to begin the skirt gathering.

Finished

And here it is.





I have to say I am quite pleased with it. 


The collar turned out just as I planned.


Especially the back!  Just like a kimono collar it stands away from the neck.


Originally I was going to add a couple of buttons to hold it closed but I changed my mind at the last moment and took some inspiration from my haori/michiyuki and added these cute ties.


And another picture of my mon as it is so sweet.  Maybe I should add a bow and make it hellokitty.


Of course pockets.  How can a girl live without them.

Conclusion

I am very happy with this project and I would love to make this in real kimono fabric so I have something to look forward too.

I wanted to see how this would look with some of my haori/michiyuki.


With a lace haori.


My current favourite michiyuki.


And my all time favourite haori.

The biggest problem I have found is that they do not sit very well over my bell shape skirt which is a shame but this means that if I didn't wear a petticoat then these outfits would be perfect for work!

I definitely need to make a waist length haori so looks like another project needs to be added to my to-do list!

No comments: